Leonardo da Vinci

Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art.

--Leonardo da Vinci


Friday, September 16, 2011

Tomatoes - Ya just can't not paint em'....

Corner of Color
8x10
The three series of paintings i have strongly focused on (Vancouver Historical Architecture, Steigerwald Refuge, and Lake Quinault) are primarily landscapes. So when i saw our recent tomato and squash harvest i realized how much i was missing still life painting. And since the tomatoes have a fairly short life expectancy (at least while i'm around) it was time to jump on it.
I did not spend much time setting up this composition, i just added the tomatoes and squash to what was already sitting on the kitchen counter and started in. I set up my gear just inside the dining room where i could peer into the kitchen and get a perfect view of my subject. I don't know if it's just me or not, but every time i paint in a part of the house not designated for painting it feels a little strange. Here i am blocking an entry to the kitchen with turpentine and oil paints in the dining room. It's kind of like taking a super soaker to church, it just doesn't seem quite right.
Anyway, i had a blast and since i don't use Cadmium Red all that much it gave me some quality time with a friend who doesn't get on my palette enough. If you look close, you can see Cad. Red, or Red, as i like to call him, sitting in the far right of the bowl in the painting and thrusting his right arm in the air yelling,
"YEAH!, you see what I can do once you put me in the game".
I think he's just vying for a contract extension that expires at the end of this year, looks like i might have to renew it.
"Tell you what Red, i'll double your salary....."
That ought to shut him up. Until he realizes what double of nothin' is.....
Seriously though, the tomatoes added some great color and really brought a cheery feeling to the painting.
Don't forget to look around your house for interesting things to add to your still life paintings. Brushes up!

1 comment:

  1. oh I love what you wrote about feeling "odd" painting in the house! I can relate completely. I have done it several times....and I like it, but the whole time it doesn't feel all that comfortable. Like I am doing something sort of out of bounds. I love this painting--it is cheery and you are correct..the red looks especially happy to have been put in the game!

    ReplyDelete