Leonardo da Vinci

Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art.

--Leonardo da Vinci


Friday, October 7, 2011

What is my style?

Dining Room Light
16x12
My previous posting was of a painting that took many days and many hours to complete. This one only took 2-3 hours, a speed painting in comparison. I did not think too much, a smash and grab type mentality. I did not worry about getting all the colors perfect, much less all the shapes, but i wanted to give the feeling of the light streaming in through our dining room windows, highlighting the focal point, blurring the lines in the background and sharpening the edges in the foreground; but not too sharp. All the while striving for a sense of atmosphere.
So when i completed this painting i thought a lot about my style of painting. What is my style? How can i labor over a painting for days and turn around a week later and crank out this speed demon? And i think i came up with an answer that in the back of my mind i have known all along.
Art, whether that be poetry, sculpting, painting, or whatever the medium, is all about passion and inspiration. Its about connecting with a subject and feeling a strong need to portray it, however the artist is experiencing it. That connection, that bonding is so critical and is the only way to get true unmanufactured emotion and feeling into a piece; and that's when it becomes art.
I am never going to pidgeon hole myself into doing the same thing over and over, the same way everytime. I would be bored to tears. But exploring, trying new techniques, and pushing my own boundaries is clearly where it's at for me. And when it's all said and done, i will have that body of work, that cohesive style that will be unique to me.
So, thank you for taking an interest in my journey. My hope is to inspire you. Inspire you to pick up a pen, or a brush and create art yourself. Inspire you to appreciate art or that you become an inspiration for someone else in this wonderful world of ART.

No comments:

Post a Comment