Leonardo da Vinci

Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art.

--Leonardo da Vinci


Wednesday, December 7, 2011

I Salute You.

Old Glory I
11x14
After painting my previous post's work, i sat in my jeep to warm up and think of what to paint next, where to go..... Just north of my ponder lied a modest building. Atop the structure, jetted a stout pole adorned by a large American flag that rolled about with the fluidity of an ocean wave in an almost non-existent breeze. I decided to study the flag, study its motions, study it's struggles to stay a flutter as the wind came and went.
As i studied the flag and its movements, i became mesmerized by its reactions to the light breeze. At times during it's dance recital, the red and white stripes flowed as if ribbons of silk were being pulled from a never ending bobbin. It was truly stunning. I decided right then and there that i was to put together a collection of portraits of our nation's flag in different poses.
On my way home last night, trying to figure out which painting to blog about, the profound remembrance and importance of December 7 came over me, and i felt my decision made. In an effort to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to our nation on that fateful day so many years ago, known to all in two words as...... Pearl Harbor. I offer this humble rendition of Old Glory in your memory and my way of publicly saying, thank you.

4 comments:

  1. My Mother carried a coin in her purse for decades that commemorated D-Day. I agree with you, our flag is magnificent. The way you've painted it is stirring! Great post, Michael....Thank you for reminding me what day this is and how we owe a debt to our armed forces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this Mike. The painting is as moving and powerful as were the words you wrote. Well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, Michael, you've taken your talent and lifted self-expression to another level of meaning....truly-- being able to translate your homage and respect for those who protect and love our country into a meaningful work of art. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dignity and hope is captured. Thank you Michael for expressing visually and verbally thanks to all our brave soldiers caught unaware but rose to great bravery on that Day of Infamy long ago.

    ReplyDelete