Leonardo da Vinci

Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art.

--Leonardo da Vinci


Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Architecture

Friendly Disposition
14 x 9 5/8
I have been wanting to paint the dramatic architecture of St. James Church on W 12th St in downtown Vancouver,WA. Saturday, i decided to go down and start in. I wandered around snapping pics and coming up with what i thought was a nice composition. Then, I spent a few hours working on it and only encountered one rain shower, which wasn't bad considering the amount of rain we have had this year. In that time i managed a solid start. Sunday morning, in the studio, i added layers of paint, shaping the lines and adding depth and texture.
When completed, i wasn't entirely happy with my lines of this prominent structure, but what i do like is the friendly, welcoming disposition she possesses, and any artist worth their salt will tell you the feeling and emotion in a painting is more important than having all the i's dotted and t's crossed.
I plan on painting more architecture this year and am looking forward to documenting my vision of the many amazing and historical structures in our city called (for now) Vancouver,WA.

1 comment:

  1. The painting turned out great Mike! I like what you did with it if after you came by on Saturday. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete