Leonardo da Vinci

Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art.

--Leonardo da Vinci


Saturday, May 7, 2011

Before it's too late.....

I-5 Bridge mid-Spring
8 x 10
While the I-5 Bridge is not an historical building, it is an historical structure and before it is replaced by something bigger and better, i wanted to include it in my series of paintings. So, this morning i worked on a Marshall House painting and as the dramatic sky revealed itself this afternoon, i knew i was going out to paint. I went down to the waterfront and carried my supplies across the foot bridge to look at the Fort which wasn't working for me today, so back across the bridge i went and i knew that i was going to have to figure out a composition of the I-5 Bridge. I found my spot, set up, and started in. The wind kicked up a few times, almost taking my umbrella with it, but i only got rained on a couple times. As the light and clouds were constantly changing, i had to work fast and mixed many of the colors directly on the panel, not thinking, just reacting to what i saw. Consequently a lot of energy went into this painting and i am really glad i've got my first I-5 Bridge under my belt, before its gone.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Mike. I love how you captured both the whirlwind feel that you were painting and the old rustic feel of the bridge.

    ReplyDelete